Student-Led Research Seminars
For more than 10 years, the Early Detection Research Group at BC Cancer – Kelowna have hosted the annual Student-Led Research Seminars!
These seminars are an opportunity for summer research students in health disciplines across the Okanagan to present an overview of their research to their peers & colleagues in a friendly and supportive environment. All summer research interns in a health-related discipline in the Okanagan are welcome to present.
The Student-Led Research Seminars provide opportunities for students to:
- facilitate interdisciplinary collaborations with other students, colleagues, and local members of the Okanagan medical community
- gain experience presenting research in a research environment
Attendees of the seminars include research interns, physicians, research principal investigators, Southern Medical Program faculty and staff, and more.
2022 Seminar Dates
This year, the seminars will be hosted both virtually and in person at BC Cancer Kelowna. Register for the Zoom link to attend virtually by clicking the link below, or attend in person at BC Cancer Kelowna’s Okanagan Room.
- Thur Jul 14, 11am – noon (register here)
- Thur Jul 28, 11am – noon (register here)
- Thur Aug 18, 11am – noon (register here)
- Thur Aug 25, 11am – noon (register here)
If you are a summer research student in the Okanagan at BC Cancer, Interior Health, or Southern Medical Program or another health-related organisation interested in presenting, please contact email@example.com. Each presentation will be about 10-15 minutes with time for brief questions afterwards and all are welcome!
2022 Student Presenters
July 14, 2022
- “Deep Learning Applications for Differential Diagnosis of Lung Cancer”, Mitch Wiebe, Early Detection Research Group, BC Cancer Kelowna
July 28, 2022
- “Using SSDE to Determine Patient Dose”, Danielle Macdonald, Interior Health & BC Cancer Kelowna
- “Exception handling in Deep Learning applications in breast cancer detection using mammography”, Emily Mayzes, Early Detection Research Group, BC Cancer Kelowna
- “Alternative Healthcare Use in Colorectal and Breast Cancer”, Olivia Solano, Clinical Trials, BC Cancer Kelowna
- “Using Spark NLP to extract socioeconomic data from patients’ records”, Zhenghua Chen, Early Detection Research Group, BC Cancer Kelowna
August 18, 2022
- “Extended Flexible Sigmoidoscopy Randomized Controlled Trial”, Arshbir Aulakh, Kelowna Endoscopy Research Group
- “ERCP Under General Anesthesia Compared to Conscious Sedation (EUGACCS) Study”, Kaitlyn Gwen Harding, Kelowna General Hospital
- “Time from Surgery to Initiation of Adjuvant Chemotherapy for Breast and Colon Cancer: Understanding delays at BC Cancer – Kelowna”, Kiana Wong, Clinical Trials, BC Cancer Kelowna
- “Limitations of Downsampling of mammography images in microcalcification detection by AI algorithms”, Liying Yang, Early Detection Research Group, BC Cancer Kelowna
August 25, 2022
- “NLP for extracting information from breast cancer pathology reports“, Nitchakan Obma, Early Detection Research Group, BC Cancer Kelowna
- “Validation of a Commercial AI Algorithm”, Wenna Lin, Early Detection Research Group, BC Cancer Kelowna
- “Ensemble classification Using Multi-split Deep Rule Forests”, Wei-Hsiang Hung, Early Detection Research Group, BC Cancer Kelowna