BC Cancer BioStats/Data Science Internship
Job title: Biostatistics Internship
Work term: 12 months (May 2022-Sept. 2022, with possible extension for two more years)
Starting Salary: $18-25/hr
Hours: 37.5 hours/week
Location: On site at BC Cancer Kelowna (399 Royal Ave, Kelowna, BC V1Y 5L3)
What we’re looking for: We are seeking recent graduates from a masters level statistics program with an interest in health science/biostatistics to perform statistical analysis for various BC Cancer-Kelowna AI and Analytics projects. Experience with SAS, R and Python will be an asset. The successful candidate is expected to submit project reports at end of the term for all completed work.
- Validating Artificial Intelligence Algorithms for Breast Cancer Detection
In this study, we are planning to evaluate the performance of a commercial AI system for breast cancer detection using over 600,000 digital mammograms from BC Cancer Breast Screening Program. We plan to compare the predictions of the AI systems to those made by breast screening radiologists in routine clinical practice using stratified ROC analysis and other methods. Furthermore, significant data cleaning work will be involved in this project.
- Validation of Volumetric Breast Density as an Imaging Biomarker for Predicting Breast Cancer Risk and Prognostication
This project aims to validate the volumetric measures of breast density as an independent risk factor for the multi-ethnic population of women in British Columbia and also to estimate the association between breast density and pathological subtypes, tumor characteristics, and treatment outcomes for developing a clinical decision support. Statistical model building accounting for confounders will be required for this project.
Additionally, the candidate will be exposed to other resect projects carried out by BC Cancer-Kelowna clinicians and other researchers to gain experience in research study design, data cleaning, and various analysis methods used in health care settings.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis until the position is filled or the end of April 2022.
Summer Student Research Studentships (SSRPs)
Hiring for SSRP students for Summer 2022 is now complete! Please check back in December 2022 for Summer 2023 postings.
The Early Detection Research Group, BC Cancer Kelowna is currently seeking interested undergraduate or medical students for summer studentships this summer. These positions are funded by UBC’s Summer Student Research Program. All accepted students will work together with Dr. Rajapakshe or another team supervisor on an application to the SSRP for funding for the position this coming summer. Both UBC undergraduate students (all years) and MD students (years 1 and 3) are eligible to apply for this position.
Following is a list of projects that are available this year (2022):
- Image Data Curation in Oncology for CT Scan Segmentation
- Improving Lung Cancer Wait Times
- Image Data Curation for Artificial Intelligence Applications
- Validation of Artificial Intelligence model for identifying breast cancer in screening mammograms
- Exception handling in Deep Learning applications in breast cancer detection using mammography
- Medical Image matching using Artificial Intelligence for record linkage
- Application of Natural Language Processing for extraction of cancer diagnosis from pathology reports
Most of the available projects this year involve programming and data science work. Knowledge of programming in python, or enrolment in the computer science (COSC) program would be an asset.
Please include the following in your application:
- Cover Letter addressing the following:
- GPA percentage (minimum 80% required – no exceptions)
- Verification that you will have completed a basic statistics course by this upcoming summer. Note that preference will be given to students who have completed DATA 301/COSC 301.
- Brief (2-3 sentences) description of any previous research- or medical-related volunteering / experiences.
- Brief description of any summer plans you already have.
- Brief description of why you would be interested in this position.
- Any specific projects you would be interested in being involved with (see list above)
- Curriculum vitae
- Unofficial Transcripts
For more information, please visit the following websites:
- UBC Faculty of Medicine Summer Student Research Program (SSRP)
- BC Cancer Early Detection Research Group website http://www.earlydetection.ca/
If you are motivated student interested in a position, all applications can be forwarded to email@example.com with subject line “2022 Studentship” by no later than January 15, 2022.