Call for applications for summer 2022
The Early Detection Research Group, BC Cancer Kelowna is currently seeking interested undergraduate or medical students for summer studentships this summer. These positions are funded by UBC’s Summer Student Research Program. All accepted students will work together with Dr. Rajapakshe or another team supervisor on an application to the SSRP for funding for the position this coming summer. Both UBC undergraduate students (all years) and MD students (years 1 and 3) are eligible to apply for this position.
Following is a list of projects that are available this year (2022):
- Image Data Curation in Oncology for CT Scan Segmentation
- Improving Lung Cancer Wait Times
- Image Data Curation for Artificial Intelligence Applications
- Validation of Artificial Intelligence model for identifying breast cancer in screening mammograms
- Exception handling in Deep Learning applications in breast cancer detection using mammography
- Medical Image matching using Artificial Intelligence for record linkage
- Application of Natural Language Processing for extraction of cancer diagnosis from pathology reports
Most of the available projects this year involve programming and data science work. Knowledge of programming in python, or enrolment in the computer science (COSC) program would be an asset.
Please include the following in your application:
- Cover Letter addressing the following:
- GPA percentage (minimum 80% required – no exceptions)
- Verification that you will have completed a basic statistics course by this upcoming summer. Note that preference will be given to students who have completed DATA 301/COSC 301.
- Brief (2-3 sentences) description of any previous research- or medical-related volunteering / experiences.
- Brief description of any summer plans you already have.
- Brief description of why you would be interested in this position.
- Any specific projects you would be interested in being involved with (see list above)
- Curriculum vitae
- Unofficial Transcripts
For more information, please visit the following websites:
- UBC Faculty of Medicine Summer Student Research Program (SSRP)
- BC Cancer Early Detection Research Group website http://www.earlydetection.ca/
If you are motivated student interested in a position, all applications can be forwarded to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line “2022 Studentship” by no later than January 15, 2022.